Monday, April 8, 2013

What goes into becoming a hotel event planner?

Q. I am currently studying hotel management, but really would love to be apart of the event planning department within a hotel. What kind of degree would I need? What would the average salary be? Ideally I would like to work in NYC at a more upscale hotel, or a well-known hotel chain.

A. That degree in hotel management/hospitality is all you need.
The rest you learn on the job.
Hotels have entire floors dedicated to event planning, catering, sales.
I know a friend that has done what you are doing.
He loves his job. Loves it.
He started out at front desk though, and not has moved up to management.
Not the greatest of pay though. But life is not all about money.

How does the hotel reservation system work?
Q. This is my first time to ever book a hotel in advance. I am planning a stay at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston in April. I reserved the room tonight with my debit card, what is the process from here?

Again first time I am doing this, so I am clueless. Thanks

A. I work at a hotel front desk. With our property, it depends on how you book. If you book through a third party site like Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, those company charge your debit or credit card immediately because the hotel later only recieves a portion of what you paid them. If you book directly on the hotel's website or over the phone, I know that with our hotel nothing is charged until check in but at check in, be prepared to also leave a security deposit. Our hotel puts a $50 deposit but people get pretty upset about it so I wanted to pass that on, some hotels are higher. Also, with debit cards, it usually takes about 7 days for any extra deposit to come off your debit card so just be aware of that :)

I would call and ask if you are unsure, just say "hello, I booked (say where) and I was wondering when my debit card get charged and will there be any deposit?" We are usually busy but that can be answered in less than a minute

Which hotel location is more convenient for sight seeing in Amsterdam?
Q. I'm planning to visit Amsterdam, Netherlands next week. I would like to know whether the Marriot Hotel (located between Leidseplein and Vondelpark) or the Renaissance Hotel (located between Central Station and Dam Square) would be more convenient given the winter weather.

Which hotel location is better for tourist to see the major attractions in the wintertime? Any other travel tips for exploring Amsterdam in December? Thank you.

A. The Renaissance by all means (I've been to Amsterdam, and I am a hotel manager of 8 years ). The location is beautiful and close to stuff thats historic, and entertainment - the redlight district, the hard rock, lots of tours n stuff.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment