Tuesday, April 30, 2013

how I can travel around europe on a budget?

Q. I am back packing through London, Manchester, Amsterdam, and Barcelona. I will be there approx. 18 days, and I am really worried about my budget.

What is the cheapest way to travel around to those places? Should I fly or take a train?
And does anybody have any budgeting tips for me? I think I am functioning solely off a credit card.. is that a mistake? And what are other money saving tips on food, alcohol, museums etc.?
I need advice from an experienced traveler! This is my first trip!

A. Hello. I am not an experienced traveler but I still would like to give you my advice. I wish I could travel where you're going!

I think the cheapest means of travel is a train. It may take longer than a plane, but you won't need to worry about as many things. From my experience though (not overseas), a train is a lot cheaper than a plane.

As for budgeting tips...I would say focus on things you "need" more than "want". You need food of course...buy food in bulk (it'll save you some money--trust me), museums are usually cheap too. Also find some places that are outdoors, like famous parks...or landmarks or something that do not cost to enjoy.

A lot of people travel with their credit card. As a matter of fact, it seems like everybody does so nowadays. As long as you feel confident that you'll be able to pay back your debt on your credit card, then I would say that it isn't a mistake. If you are worried about your budget, think in your head "what are things I need? what are things I want?". It may sound silly but I have done this when I have been to different places or had limited money and I always ended up on an alright budget.

As for the money saving tips again...food (buy in bulk -- might seem a little more expensive, but it really isn't in the long run), alcohol--I would assume that alcohol is cheaper in Europe...but maybe not. That may be one of those things you need to think about in your head whether you "want" or "need" it. Like I said before, museums are cheap. Also outdoor activities are cheap.

You are also saving a lot of money by "back packing" through all of these places. At least you won't be spending 18 days in one of those $1000 a night hotels!

Have a fun and safe trip!

How far apart are dam square and Leidseplein.?
Q. We have a hotel in dam square but we want the night life!!! Is it with walking distance?
We have a hotel in Dam square amsterdam but want the night life is it close by to Leidseplein?

A. It is about 20 minutes walk. But why don't you take a tramway? Tramways 1, 2 or 5 will lead you to Leidseplein from outside the Dam square.

Amsterdam is where I met my Norwegian wife in 1970. We love the place and often visit it. Have you seen the Amsterdam Historical museum near the Queen's palace? Very interesting to see how the city was built and its history.

There is also a very nice jazz club in one of the street leading to Leidseplein, called Jazz Cafe Alto. The best way to see Amsterdam is, of course, by renting a bicycle. But ... perhaps not in the winter! :-) Give my regards to Vondel Park, that's where I met the most beautiful girl who became my wife!

Does Anybody Know A Cheap Decent Place In Manhattan To Drop Off My Car For A Couple Of Days?
Q. My and my girlfriend are planning on driving down to New York to stay for a couple days, we'll be getting a room at the amsterdam hotel on West 50th st. in Manhattan. I was just wondering if anyone knows a place close enough to the hotel where we can drop off the ride for a coiple days at a decent rate? I would really apreciate the help thanks people.

A. My friend, driving in New York City is a nightmare and find a decently priced parking garages for you car is worst. Most them charge between $9 and $15. My advice, drive to New Jersey and park you car there. The link below is list of parking garages in both Jersey City and Hoboken, NJ. Many of the garages are located near PATH train stations.

Grove Street Station
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Grove+Street+PATH+Station+(Grove+Street+PATH+Station)&geocode=&q=parking&f=li&hl=en&sll=40.729438,-74.038496&sspn=0.022765,0.036478&abauth=7774de3c:zSLeKJxZOD67ZIR3c_EX9K0aTHM&absince=556


Exchange Place Station
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Exchange+Place+PATH+Station+(Exchange+Place+PATH+Station)&geocode=&q=parking&f=li&hl=en&sll=40.727356,-74.028797&sspn=0.022766,0.036478


Pavonia/Newport Station
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Pavonia%2FNewport+PATH+Station+(Pavonia%2FNewport+PATH+Station)&geocode=&q=parking&f=li&hl=en&sll=40.736462,-74.030514&sspn=0.022762,0.036478&abauth=92dfd8db:WdJqZ_TMhrDJKkA6Ef84XwdtMfs&absince=560


Hoboken Station
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Hoboken+PATH+Station+(Hoboken+PATH+Station)&geocode=&q=parking&f=li&hl=en&sll=40.745696,-74.025192&sspn=0.022759,0.036478&abauth=bd632944:TYNO49ddN2E1qIy3jrI5bgeauNk&absince=558


Journal Square
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/jstc_parking.html

Once you park you car in Jersey City or Hoboken, you can take the PATH train, which is a commuter train line, from there to Manhattan. The fare is $1.75 each way, per person.

I hope this information is very helpful. If you have any questions or need travel directions while in town, just drop me a line by clicking on the avatar and e-mail icon in the profile. I'll be glad to help.

Good luck
Native New Yorker




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment