Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Does anyone know of dog friendly hotels between Montreal and Vancouver?

Q. I may be driving to Vancouver from Montreal before the end of September. I will be traveling with my dog and need to find dog-friendly accommodations along the way. Does anyone know of any? Also, I have never done this drive before - does anyone know approximately how far I can get for each day of driving? Thanks!

A. Super 8 motels and hotels are dog friendly. We have used them travelling with our Great Danes. There was a $10 surcharge for each dog, but we were given a housekeeping suite on the ground floor, right next to a fenced grassy area, at no extra charge.

Be sure to ask, if you are booking reservations, not all hotels in some chains will take dogs, even if they say so in their advertising. And we found that some of the so-called dog friendly ones wouldn't take large dogs like ours, even though we had brought crates for them.

Dog friendly hotels in the mission?
Q. I will be staying in SF for a few weeks. I'm looking for a dog friendly hotel, preferably in the mission district. Thanks!

A. Here's a list of pet-friendly hotels. I see none in the Mission.
http://dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/w/cities/wonlinecityCASan_Francisco.shtml

Recommendations for traveling in the winter to WA?
Q. My family and i are moving from southern CA to Fort Lewis WA in January. We are driving and I am kind of nervous bc it will be winter. We have never planned a road trip before usually we just get from point A to B asap. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Any interesting places to stop or must see places...as of now we have one week to get there... unless we can leave earlier. We have never been that far north before. Any way to find dog friendly hotels?

A. You will probably just shoot up I-5 because Fort Lewis is just south of Seattle. Might get some rain in California, but that part should be an easy drive. Throughout Oregon and Washington you are likely to have a lot of rain and drizzle, but probably not too much snow. On rare occasion Portland and Seattle get a dusting of snow, but it's not very often or very much. If you run into snow, it will most likely be over Siskiyou Pass on the Oregon/California border. Check the weather report. It is wise to get through the mountains during the day to reduce the risk of black ice. You should invest in some chains ahead of time. You're supposed to carry chains during the winter just in case and prices from roadside chain sellers are outrageous.

I don't know what you have already seen along the way, but here are some suggestions:
* San Francisco is worth a day of sightseeing, but don't drive to the city, parking is a nightmare. Instead, take 580 about 45 minutes west of 5 and park at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and take BART to the SF Powell St station. You'll come out right at the cable cars and stuff.
* The California State Capitol in Sacramento is worth a couple of hours and it's not too far off the road. Tours are free, but you have to pay for parking. You might catch a glimpse of Arnold if you're lucky!
* Shasta Dam in far northern CA is worth a stop for a couple of hours. They give free tours inside the dam.
* Crater Lake National Park is a couple of hours east of 5. The road around the rim is closed for the winter, but if the weather is good you can still get to the visitors center.
* Multnomah Falls is only about 30 minutes east of Portland on I-84. It's a huge waterfall worth seeing and free.
* If you like seafood, check out Jakes Famous Crawfish in downtown Portland. It's pretty pricey for dinner, but not too bad for lunch.

I've made the trip from central CA to Seattle many times. If you have a week, you can be pretty leisurely. I normally stay at Comfort/Quality Inns along the road. Some take pets, you can put that in on their website and they will tell you which ones do. I usually take my laptop and make reservations for the next motel while I'm staying at the first one. That way I can judge how tired I am and how far I think I will get the next day. Usually they have much better rates if you book online rather than calling or just showing up and you can accumulate rewards points. From my travels, the Comfort Inn in Red Bluff is especially nice and the one in Yreka is especially bad.

If you are concerned about road conditions, you can get current information:
CA: www.dot.ca.gov -or- 1-800-427-7623
OR: www.tripcheck.com -or- 1-800-977-6368
WA: www.wsdot.wa.gov/TRAFFIC -or- 1-800-695-7623




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment