Monday, January 28, 2013

Is a one hour layover in Brussels enough time to switch airlines?

Q. If I fly from Rome to New York via Brussels, and have to switch airlines (form Brussels Airlines to Jet Airways), is one hour enough time? Will I have to go through customs? If I miss the connecting flight, will I get put on the next flight? I'd be booking through Travelocity.

A. As long as you have your boarding pass to get onto your connecting flight you should be fine, cutting it short as hope your plane lands on time as well. BRU is a great airport and things run very smooth.
The only problem Ive ever had & Id advise a longer time between is when at heathrow airport.
I might be wrong but you will not have to go past customs but will be checked by security with your carry on luggage.
If you miss your flight each airline is not the same in this matter.as the next flight most likely be booked full so if your lucky will be put on stand by.
Go to travelocity & see what travel insurance if any. I know I had to wait 2 days and they paid for my hotel and meals but that was BA

Can anyone provide a list of Bed and Breakfast arrangements around Brussels Noord?
Q. I would be working in Diegem and Brussels Noord is the nearest station. I could not find anything in terms of Bed and Breakfast in Diegem, so shifting my search to Brussels Noord.

A. Here is one that has good reviews. It is not Brussel Noord, it is in Laken (1020 Brussel). But it was the closest I found when looking up B&B Diegem and B&B Brussel Noord!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188644-d586997-Reviews-Maison_Bliss_Bed_Breakfast-Brussels.html

Here's another one: A taste of Belgium. It's situated in Schaarbeek (1030 Brussel). I don't think it's closer to the North station, but it might be a little closer to Diegem.
http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q&view=text&q=bed+and+breakfast+diegem&ie=UTF8&hl=nl&latlng=50873092,4384211,10445289628662269881&ei=PHkISZCON4ey2gK3gvjWDQ&cd=5
http://www.atasteofbelgium.net/2920/index.html


How will you travel each day from Noordstation to Diegem? I think this is a very important question to decide where you can stay. Will you have a car? Will you take a cab each day? Or will you have to travel by public transport?

Check out this map:
http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q&q=bed+and+breakfast+diegem&ie=UTF8&hl=nl&ei=PHkISZCON4ey2gK3gvjWDQ&cd=5&cid=50873092,4384211,10445289628662269881&li=lmd&z=14&t=m
The "A" in the red bulb is the location of the second B&B (Schaarbeek). To the left of it you see Laken, so you have an idea where the first one is situated.



Edit: you can also try to find a youth hostel.
Interesting to know: if you travel by train, you donât have to stay near the North of Brussels. There are two more train stations: Central (Brussel Centraal/Bruxelles Central) and South (Brussel Zuid/Bruxelles Midi) and every train that goes through Noordstation goes through Centraal and Zuid as well. This means you can also look nearby those two stations, it wonât change much, just a few minutes extra travel time.
http://www.hostelworld.com/index.php?source=googleadwordshostels&gclid=COO9z4LezJYCFQWR1QodqSLuxw
http://www.google.be/search?q=youth+hostel+brussel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&client=firefox-a

How can I store my baggage in Brussels for a week until I return?
Q. I'm traveling to Europe in a few weeks for a study abroad program. I'm flying into Brussels, Belgium and need to store my large baggage while I travel for a week before classes start. The website for the airport says there are storage lockers, but only quotes them for 24 hours.

I'd like to be able to fly out of Brussels the same day I arrive, so would like to be able to store it near the airport, so I don't have to waste a lot of time searching for a place to store it.

Has anyone had to store baggage while traveling in Europe? I'd rather not lug my huge bag full of everything I need for months around with me that first week. What did you do?

A. You can ask at major hotels if they will hold it (they will for guests who are returning - it might be worth it for you to stay one night to get this option and then lie about coming back...) or if you can pay them to hold it. Some hostels or dorms might also hold but I don't know Brussels well.

I left luggage in Dublin at a hotel and they did it for free; in Geneva, I paid something to have a hotel hold. In NYC, a friend said she was coming back but didn't (and sent me to pick up saying that her travel plans changed...)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment