Monday, December 31, 2012

Any recent visitors to Key West that can give me some tips?

Q. I will be in Key West in the middle of June 2010. I know that is out of season. Anyone been there recently that can give me tips on the best places to eat and drink? Should I book a trip to Dry Tortugas online ($160) or will I get a better deal there?

A. June is a good time to go, this is when local Floridians visit because all the prices drop & hotels become more affordable. Walk around Duval Street, you will find dozens of places to eat & drink. Drinking is a major reason people go there. Key West is a very small place, everything can be seen in less then a day. l have heard good things about that trip out to the Tortuga's & Fort Jefferson. Have a good trip.

What part of Key West has the nicest view and best beaches (blue, clear water, white sand)?
Q. I'm booking my honeymoon for Key West and was wondering what area of Key West has the nicest beaches (blue, clear water & white beaches)? I was planning on booking a hotel off of duval St. but I wasn't sure what the beaches look like on that end...I kinda figured they would be nice b/c they are facing the Gulf. Thanks!

A. I would stay away from the big hotels (Reach, Hilton, Hyatt ect.) Key West is known for its many quaint and beautiful bed and breakfasts, most of which have beautiful tropical gardens (keywestinns.com has over 60 inns you can view and book online). The beaches are awful. There is no natural sand because of Key West's close proximity to the coral reef, so the beaches are pretty rocky, also bacteria levels are often very high making the water unsafe to swim in. If your set on going to the beach, Fort Zachary Taylor Beach is your best bet. To make the most of you trip you really need to get out on the water. Sunny Days Catamarans offers daily snorkle as well as sunset champange sails. (There are other companies but this one is my favorite) If your going in the summer, they offer a combo trip that goes out to snorkle and stays out to watch the sunset. Make sure you ask what the visability is before you book a snorkle trip though, it varies from day to day, less than 30-40 feet of vis. is bad some days can be 60+ feet Jet skiing is another awesome way to see the whole island, Key West Water Sports offers a sunset jet ski tour, thats really cool. Other sunset options include the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square, and a more laid back but beautiful sunset view on the roof top of the La Concha Hotel, its the tallest building on the island, and usually offers live music and a full bar during senset. Hope you find this helpful.

How much would it cost to go to Key West on a week's vacation?
Q. I was thinking about going there for seven days by myself. How much would it cost to fly from Northern Ky to Key West, along with the hotel stay, food, etc?

A. probly for tranportation/lodge 500? but thats without food...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment