Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Where in TO can I enjoy a fancy 7 course meal like what I always see on Iron Chef America?

Q. I love watching Iron Chef America, especially judging time! And I want that fancy 7 course meal experience. What is the best restaurant in Toronto for this? Pricing preferably from $30-$60 a person.

A. I am a former chef and from Toronto, still live here in the Annex, and prix-fixe dinner are not as common now as they were when I trained at the Windsor Arms Hotel in the 1970's, most place now do smaller 3-4 course ones and some will do 5, the hotels were the place in years past, alot of places offer them on the weekends or midweek to attract clientele, I know of a number in town, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese and North America, places along King St in the Entertainment district, the Italian places on College between Bathurst and Dufferein, high end chinese like Lai Wah in the Metropolitan Hotel on Chestnut St behind City Hall, and a number of places near me on Bloor between Spadina and Bathurst, I go to a Korean place near Christie, you can also find Greek places on the Danforth to who offer multi-course meal, price can vary and if you have any drinks it can be more.

Help please: How far is Toronto's airport from Chinatown? What might a taxi cost?
Q. I would also like suggestions for a nice hotel in Chinatown. Thank you!

A. Which Chinatown? Toronto has 3 of them.
If you mean the largest of them, it's in the Spadina/Dundas area.

A taxi will cost a minimum $40 to $50. (It'll cost considerably more if stuck in heavy traffic.)
A much cheaper option is taking an airport bus downtown - http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

A good hotel nearby is the Metropolitan - http://www.metropolitan.com/toronto/rooms.asp
The Delta Chelsea is a bit further away but also nice - http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/ontario/delta-chelsea/

Need to drive from Toronto to Detroit Metropolitan International Airport for a flight? When should I leave?
Q. I decided to fly from Detroit (to Tokyo) in May instead of Toronto because I found the fares were $700 cheaper if I go from Detroit as opposed to Toronto and the flight departs at 5 PM in the afternoon from Detroit and lands at Tokyo-Narita Airport.

I was wondering when would be an appropriate time to leave Toronto (I live in Markham) to drive down to the Detroit airport? Would 11 am be too late or is it fine?

A. I have crossed the Detroit/Windsor border many times driving between Chicago and Toronto. Although most of the delays that I have experienced were between 5 minutes and 30 minutes, the longest delay was 2.5 hours.
On two separate occasions, I encountered heavy traffic due to constructions and accidents that delayed me by one hour each time.
On six occasions, I have been selected for additional scrutiny by the border agent. That required me to drive up to the Immigration office a short distance away. There my car and luggage was searched thoroughly by two agents. I also had to answer questions from an immigration agent. This would add up to 45 minutes to my travel time.
And on three occasions, due to highway construction in the Detroit area, detours have caused me to get lost or headed in a wrong direction. So driving the 33 km from the border, through Detroit, to reach the airport may prove to be challenging.

If I were you, I would consider the following two options:

#1 - Leave home no later than 12 hours before the flight departure time. Unfortunately, you will be crossing the border in the daytime when delays are more common. And leaving Markham around 5am will get you through Toronto before the rush hour traffic begins to build up.

#2 - Leave home the day before and spend the night on the USA side. You will be crossing the border in the evening hours when delays are less common. But exiting the highway in the Detroit area and looking for your hotel after sunset can be difficult and dangerous. Example: Around 6pm, I stopped at a gas station in a Detroit suburb for gasoline and refreshments. The building was a combination gas station and convenience store. I was able to pump gas from and pay at the pump. But I also wanted to go inside to see what food items they had for sale. I was surprised to discover that the entrance door was locked. So I walked up to a side window that was protected by bullet resistant glass. There I asked the attendant inside how could I get inside to shop. I was informed that it was a common practice for area stores like them to not allow customers inside after 5pm for security reasons. If I told her exactly what I wanted, she would give it to me through a door opening in the window. Suddenly, I felt very unsafe, so I left as soon as possible. As I searched the streets for the highway entrance, I was surprised that I did not see any pedestrians or police. As a result, I refuse to stop in the Detroit area after dark.

/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment