Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In China, is it normal to negotiate hotel/ servcd apartment rates?

Q. I am wondering if I can still negotiate the displayed rates of hotels in China. Im thinking of going to Shanghai and I want to stay in New Harbour Serviced Apartments in . It is a four star apartment hotel. Ive been to China and I know that bargaining is a common practice when buying. I am not sure if it is also applicable to hotel rates. If so, how low can I negotiate the hotel rate from the asking rate?

A. You can always try to bargain. It may or may not work and there is nothing to lose.

For hotels I usually pay the advertised rates. They are usually already discounted. I also search online for better rates with the English and also with the Chinese name. Within China there are also countless Chinese websites that give hotel discounts.

Once you are in lobby hotels have usually 2 rates, the displayed one, and one with a a fixed discount that everybody gets. It's hard to get more discount then that, if you are lucky they through in a free breakfast.

Some Mandarin will help, otherwise they may have no idea what you talk about.

How much will it cost to stay at a hotel in Elko Nevada for 27 days?
Q. I want to stay at a hotel for 27 days, is there a discount hotels will give for that long of a stay??

A. Yes, some of the motels around town will give discounts for weekly and monthly stays. For a good idea of budget-priced motels and their rates, check the AAA listings online:

http://travel.aaa.com/hotels.htm

Or if you're not a AAA member, then this website has good, detailed listings of budget properties in Elko, too:

http://hotelguides.com/nevada/elko-nv-hotels.html

Rates for the cheapest motels in Elko start at around $35-40/night plus tax.

How does Marriott verify employees for the discount rate?
Q. I know when you work for Marriott, they give you an employee card in which you can use to get discounted rates at hotels....How does that hotel verify you really are an employee though? Do they actually call the hotel on the card to see if you work there? or what do they do?

I ask becuase I have my employee card still from when I worked for Marriott, but I no longer work there. I am curious if I could still get away with using it

A. No it would not work, as they have to swipe the card on their system, and it would come up as expired.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment