Monday, April 1, 2013

How can I get the best deal going from Chicago to Las Vegas?

Q. I want to go to a conference in Vegas March 19th and returning March 22. I currently do not have the money now to go, so it might be a week or two until I can pay for this, so where do I look for the best deal? Do I go on travelocity or those sites? I know I can get a flight and hotel deal package but how do I search this? Is going out of O'Hare cheaper or Midway? Can I get a better deal if it is at the last minute?

A. Try www.unusedrooms.com for flight tickets. When I checked the price for a one way ticket was $342.
Just a point is to check the flight price a few days either side of your date. I just booked a LA Miami trip and by going 2 days earlier saved over $100. If you can be flexible with your dates this is a good way to go.

Can someone help me with my statistics problem?
Q. A customer is searching for deals on hotels on the internet. They know from research that hotel rooms in New York City average $200 per night with standard deviation of $36.

Chicago hotel rooms average $175 per night with a standard deviation of $29.

They find two "deals";

A 5-star hotel room in NYC for $170.
A 5-star hotel room in Chicago for $150.

(A) Assuming they will gladly visit either city assuming they get the "best deal", which of the two deals should the customer take?

A. calculate standard scores:

NYC = -0.8333

Chi = -0.8621

Chi is the better deal

Can someone help me with this statistics problem?
Q. A customer is searching for deals on hotels on the internet. They know from research that hotel rooms in New York City average $200 per night with standard deviation of $36.

Chicago hotel rooms average $175 per night with a standard deviation of $29.

They find two "deals";

A 5-star hotel room in NYC for $170.
A 5-star hotel room in Chicago for $150.

(A) Assuming they will gladly visit either city assuming they get the "best deal", which of the two deals should the customer take?

A. The NYC deal is (200 - 170)/36 â 0.8333 standard deviations below the mean. (Technically, the calculation is (170 - 200)/36, but the resulting negative sign means "below".)

The Chicago deal is (175 - 150)/29 â 0.862 standard deviations below the mean.

So the Chicago deal is a little better (that is, the probability of finding a lower price than $150 for a Chicago room is less than the probability of finding a lower price than $170 for a NYC room).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment